CNET reports that a Fiat spokesperson in an interview with Automotive News indicated there would be technology and platform sharing but the Fiat 500 would remain a Fiat. It would be sold in the North America within the 18 months or so but it would not be re-badged. Read after the Break.
Fiat will market the Fiat 500 at Chrysler dealerships in about 11/2 years, a Fiat spokesman says.
The 500 will be the only Fiat or Fiat-derived car that will be sold in Chrysler dealerships badged as a Fiat. New vehicles derived from Fiat platforms will be sold with Chrysler brands.
“The Fiat 500 — we see that, like the Mini, as a sort of boutique car that we think we can sell in good numbers on the East and West coasts in the same way that Mini has been successful in the U.S.,” says Richard Gadeselli, vice president of Fiat communications in Italy.
Meanwhile, he says, Chrysler will design and engineer its own vehicles from Fiat platforms. Chrysler is planning six small or mid-sized vehicles based on Fiats.
“There is a misconception out there that Chrysler is going to build the Fiat Bravo, just stick a different badge on it” and do other rebadging, Gadeselli says.
“They will be Chrysler products,” Gadeselli says. “They will be specific to Chrysler. The vehicle architectures will be based on our stuff, and there will be some powertrains. The vehicles will be U.S. vehicles, designed for U.S. customers by a U.S. company.”
The vehicles will not share sheet metal with Fiat vehicles, Gadeselli says. The 500, he says, will be the only model badged as a Fiat in the United States.
The original 500 two-door debuted in 1957 and gained wide acceptance as a low-priced, practical tiny car similar to the Volkswagen Beetle and Mini of that era. The 500 was sold until 1975.
The current 500, which captures the styling heritage of the original, debuted in 2007 as a front-drive hatchback.
Fiat is on track to control Chrysler when the American automaker emerges from U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
You can see all the results of recent changes and improvements in Dodge Chrysler Jeep products at Portland’s Best:
Dick’s Country Chrysler Jeep Dodge. Scott and Shannon Inukai are committed to providing quality vehicles at great prices.
767 SW Baseline Rd
Hillsboro OR 97123
The best and #1 rated Portland area Five Star rated Dodge dealer, Chrysler dealer, Jeep dealer near Beaverton Oregon. We have the 2009 Ram and 2009 Dodge Challenger available and instock for sale. Also come and see our Internet Special prices on used, pre-owned and certified vehicles.
We carry SmartWay certified vehicles like the Dodge Caliber, Jeep Patriot, Jeep Compass, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Dodge Avenger and Chrysler Sebring. Click here to search our new SmartWay Certifed Vehiclesor here to search our pre-owned SmartWay Certified vehicles. They keep your world green and your enemies more green with envy. You can also checkout our fuel saving technology such as Duel Mode Hybrid, MDS, VVT, CVT and the clean burning house hauling power of the New Cummins Diesel 6.7 Liter I6.
Dick’s Auto Group is a dealer group made up of only domestic brands. We have Chrysler, Dodge, Ford and Jeep. Give a call and set a time to come test drive our products and look at the advantage of buying an American automobile. Scott and Shannon Inukai are committed to providing quality vehicles at great prices. They are also proud to represent the number one selling truck in America today.
Dick’s Auto Group
Hillsboro Oregon 97123
DEVELOPING PRODUCTS THAT MINIMIZE IMPACT
ON THE ENVIRONMENT
For the past 15 years, we have been among the automotive industry’s environmental pioneers. And as the need for reduced energy consumption and alternative fuels continues to rise, we dedicate a prominent portion of our research and development to finding and building solutions.
Here are some of the great strides we’ve already accomplished:
- Added Jeep® Grand Cherokee diesel SUV to the diesel product lineup (2007)
- Manufactured the first diesel-powered, mid-sized SUV for sale in the U.S., the Jeep® Liberty CRD (2002)
- Offered the best-selling street-legal electric vehicle in the U.S., the GEM. (2000)
- Built the EPIC electric minivan, a second-generation, battery-powered, fully electric minivan with fast charge technology, advanced nickel metal-hydride batteries and full minivan capabilities (1999)
- Produced 1.5 million Flexible Fuel Vehicles* (FFVs) capable of running on clean, renewable, American-made ethanol E85 fuel since 1998
- Founding partner of the California Fuel Cell Partnership, to demonstrate and develop fuel cell vehicles (1998)
- Offered the first vehicle certified to California Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle standard (1994 natural gas Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager minivans)
- First manufacturer to produce vehicles meeting California’s Low Emission Vehicle, Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle and partial Zero Emission Vehicle standards (1993)
Most Recent Offering: SmartWay Vehicle Certification
Chrysler offers 11 vehicles that are considered very good environmental performers relative to competitors. These have received the SmartWay certification and are recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for having tailpipe emissions significantly lower than environmental thresholds. In other words, they’re cleaner than they have to be.
- PT Cruiser Sedan: All models
- PT Convertible: All models
- Sebring Sedan: All models equipped with the 2.4L DOHC 16V VVT Engine and 4-speed automatic transmission
- Sebring Convertible: LX model only
- 300: RWD Touring and Limited models
- Avenger: SE and SXT models equipped with the 2.4L DOHC 16V VVT Engine and 4-speed automatic transmission
- Caliber: All models equipped with 2.0L or 2.4L engine with CVT2 tranmission
- Charger: RWD SE Plus and SXT models
- Magnum: RWD SXT model only
- Compass: All modles
- Patriot: All models
Here’s what we’re working on now:
- A gas-electric two-mode hybrid model of 2008 Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen
- 50 percent of Chrysler vehicles will be capable of running on alternative fuels such as ethanol and biodiesel by 2012
* Flexible-fuel engine not available in CA, VT, NY, MA, ME, RI, CT, and PA. Contact your authorized Chrysler Dodge and Jeep® dealership to verify your vehicle’s flex-fuel (FFV) compatibility.
®Copyright 2008 Chrysler LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Visit Dick’s Country Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Hillsboro Oregon to test drive these vehicles and choose your way to make a difference in your environment and the environment of your children!
Dick’s Country Chrysler Jeep Dodge
767 SW Baseline Rd
Hillsboro Or 97123
The Rubik’s Rubric – Dodge joins ‘hip to be square’ crowd with Hornet concept
Though it might catch Mike Tyson and Oscar De La Hoya unawares, automotive designers the world over are taking up boxing with surprising verve. From the Hummer H3 and Land Rover LR3 to Nissan’s Cube and even Rolls’ Phantom… rockin’ the box is in.
And if ‘boxing’ is the ‘Sport of the Moment’ on the globe’s automotive playground, then Dodge’s Hornet concept appears ready to shake down that smug little Scion punk at recess for milk money.
Powered by a 1.6-liter, supercharged 4-cylinder (generating 170 bhp and 165 lb.-ft. of torque) routed through a six-speed manual, the brash little box also boasts some surprisingly butch visual cues for such a small frame. Up front, aggressive headlamps sit inboard of huge front fenders, which themselves bookend what looks to be a spot perfect for a meaty intercooler. Rear-hinged demi-doors recall Honda’s Element, albeit with a uniquely serrated lower edge, and out back a pair of vertically-stacked dual-element taillamps and well-integrated exhaust plumbing lend the diminutive Dodge an aggressive edge that’s heretofore been lacking in the sugar cube race. Oh… those 19″ wheels set at the corners don’t hurt the stance, either.
Inside, spartan trim and flexible seating are the order of the day, and modular bins along with a unique floating armrest and a hail of door-resident accessories (first aid kit, etc.) create a fun, funky, and functional interior.
Look for more Hornet ‘buzz’ at the Geneva Motor Show.
[Source: DaimlerChrysler and MPH Magazine]