Have you ever heard of a “hypermiler”? It is a person who specializes at getting a lot of miles per gallon out of a vehcile. In other words, a fuel efficiency expert. They use Eco-Driving techniques to maximize operational efficiency. Recent studies show how you drive to be important and in some cases more important than what you drive in achieving the best fuel economy results. A good hypermiler can achieve 30-40% or better fuel economy than an typical driver using typical driving techniques. For instance, the new 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid is rated at 41 MPG on its window sticker. Most of us have difficulty achieving even the stated economy of a vehicle. In recent tests and when it was driven by a hypermiler named Wayne Gerdes, the vehicle managed to produce a fuel economy rating of approximatley 70 MPG.
Ford Motor Company is commited to producing fuel efficient vehciles that protect our enviornment and help of to live off our own resources. It is more than just trying to be green. Yes, being green is a goal. But keeping our enviornment green is a much more valuable objective. So Ford’s hottest new vehicle is a cool efficient hybrid! Read more below.
Ford Team Aims To Drive 2010 Fusion Hybrid 1,000 Miles on a Single Tank of Gas
– The Ford Fusion Hybrid team will attempt to drive more than 1,000 miles for more than 43 continuous hours – on a single tank of gas, raising money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in the process
– The most fuel-efficient, mid-sized sedan in America – the Fusion Hybrid driven by a team of Ford hybrid engineers, a fuel efficiency expert and a NASCAR star, will have to achieve an average of at least 57 mpg on the challenge to reach its goal
– By using Eco-Driving techniques engineers have achieved 70 mpg during testing of the Ford Fusion Hybrid in preparation for the challenge
– Consumers can improve their own vehicle’s fuel economy performance is by adopting Ford’s “Eco-Driving” tips used for the 1,000-Mile Challenge
DEARBORN, Mich., April 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — This weekend, the 2010 Ford (NYSE: F) Fusion Hybrid is being put to the ultimate fuel-efficiency test. A team of drivers, including NASCAR star Carl Edwards and world-record breaking hypermiler Wayne Gerdes, will attempt to drive more than 1,000 miles on a single tank of gas, raising money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in the process.
The 1,000-Mile Challenge starts at around 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 25, from Mount Vernon, Va., and ends the morning of Monday, April 27, in Washington, D.C. The team will drive for more than 43 hours continuously to reach the 1,000-mile goal. The drivers will do stints of between two and three hours each and will have regular breaks to ensure safe driving is maintained. Already rated as the most fuel-efficient, mid-sized sedan in America, the Fusion Hybrid will need to average at least 57 mpg to achieve its goal. During preliminary testing in preparation for this challenge, Ford engineers have reached as much as 70 mpg in the Fusion Hybrid by using Eco-Driving techniques.
The team will run clinics for media and customers over the weekend in the Fusion Hybrid, conducting interviews and vehicle demonstrations on how simple techniques can make a significant difference to real world fuel economy numbers.
The Fusion Hybrid being used in the challenge will be a factory produced model with no modifications or alterations and will run on regular 87 octane gas.
The team will be uploading regular images and video to YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/fordstory), Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordmotorcompany), Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/people/Kristopher-Spencer/1228149870), Twitter (http://twitter.com/Ford), and http://www.media.ford.com.
Ford is taking on the 1,000-Mile Challenge for a number of reasons:
* To demonstrate Ford’s commitment to be the best or amongst the best in fuel economy in every vehicle segment in which it competes;
* To highlight the crucial role the driver plays in maximizing fuel economy and demonstrate how consumers can make a difference through Eco-Driving;
* To raise awareness about Eco-Driving and how the Fusion Hybrid contributes to it with the ability to run up to 47 mph in pure electric mode; and
* To raise awareness and funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
The 1,000-Mile Challenge team comprises of:
* Wayne Gerdes, the world-record breaking hypermiling champion and founder of http://www.cleanmpg.com;
* Carl Edwards, the NASCAR race star who recently bought his own 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid;
* Sherif Marakby, graduate of Maryland University and Ford hybrid chief engineer;
* Gil Portalatin, Ford hybrid applications manager and Ford Fusion Hybrid team leader;
* Tom Rolewicz, one of Ford’s top calibration experts and hybrid system expert; and
* Steve Burke, Ford product expert on hybrid applications
The mileage-maximizing techniques that the Ford team will use and pass on to consumers include:
* Slowing down and maintaining even throttle pressure;
* Gradually accelerating and smoothly braking;
* Maintaining a safe distance between vehicles and anticipating traffic conditions;
* Coasting up to red lights and stop signs to avoid fuel waste and brake wear;
* Minimize use of heater and air conditioning to reduce the load on the engine;
* Close windows at high speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag;
* Applying the “Pulse and Glide” technique while maintaining the flow of traffic;
* Minimize excessive engine workload by using the vehicle’s kinetic forward motion to climb hills, and use downhill momentum to build speed; and
* Avoiding bumps and potholes that can reduce momentum
Click here (http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=28946) for more Eco-Driving tips
Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 213,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s wholly owned brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.
You can see all the results of recent changes and improvements at Portland’s best Ford dealer.
Dick’s Mackenzie Ford
4151 SE Tualatin Valley Hwy
Hillsboro OR 97123
Dick’s Mackenzie Ford is the #1 rated local family owned and operated Blue Oval Portland Oregon area Ford dealer near Beaverton Oregon in Hillsboro Oregon. Also, serving the Southwest Washington population. Come and see our
Internet Special prices on new , used, pre-owned and factory-certified vehicles or Q Certified Vehicles. We have all models available, 2009 Ford F-150, 2009 Ford Mustang and the money saving 2009 Ford Focus and more. Contact us for a free price quote. We also have Cars, Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers online at http://mackenzieford.com . Search for all new 2008 and 2009 Ford, including E-Series, Edge, Escape, Escape Hybrid, Expedition, Explorer, F-150, F-250 Super Duty, F-350, F-450, Flex, Focus Coupe, Focus Sedan, Fusion, Mustang, Ranger, Sport Trac, Taurus, Taurus X, and for the soon to arrive Ford Transit van. Find your dream car from our Ford showroom of cars, trucks, SUVs and Crossovers or search our new Ford inventory to see what is on our lot, get new car pricing and free Ford price quotes.
We carry SmartWay certified new vehicles like the Ford Focus, Ford Fusion, Ford Escape and other. Click here to check them out. We also carry SmartWay certified pre-owned vehicles . Click here to search our inventory.
We have quick easy financing available with rates as low as 0% available on some models. Experience our fast credit approval and pre-approval process. We use the best banks to secure you your best deal, including Ford Motor Credit, US Bank, Chase, Bank of America, OnPoint Credit union and others. Contact us to get your best car loan in minutes!
Want to see why you should own a Ford? Click here for the Ford Story video on why Ford Motor Company is your car company for the future. Click here to load video on why the Ford F-150 is your truck.
Scott and Shannon Inukai are committed to providing quality vehicles at great prices. They are also proud to represent the number one selling truck in America today.